Before 1920, the original school in the Curry community was a two-room structure where the Johnseys now live. It was named for Mr. W.W. Milford, who donated the land. The school burned, and the Methodist Church was used for two years. 1920 brought many changes for Curry when forward-thinking citizens saw the need for a high school in what is today the Curry community. Many community members met with J. Alex Moore, then Superintendent of Education, to discuss plans for the building of a school and consolidating many of the smaller schools in the area. After several prospective locations, the State Planning Committee selected the present site due to it being a centralized location. Construction began in the heavily wooded area with many stumps having to be removed. Clearing was aided by the chattier pupils, as punishment tended to be stump removal work.
Money was scarce during those days and the State relied on the community members to put in their share to make Curry High School a reality. Some were able to contribute money, while others contributed materials or labor. It was not unusual for many who lived on the Jasper road (now State Hwys 195 and 257) to see several wagons loaded with materials going to Curry. Brick was hauled from the Cordova area, lumber was cut and dressed with most of the logs given by individuals community wide.
In the fall of 1921, Curry School was ready for its first students, ranging from 1st to 9th grade. It had five rooms, an office, and a hall and the first principal was Charles C. (Chick) Anderson, who also happened to teach Vocational Agriculture. Students were transported from the surrounding communities of Marylee, Louvell, Milfored, Blackwater, Drummond, King, Mt. Zion, Sunlight and other smaller communities.
At the dedication of the building, Mr. J. Alex Moore gave the address, naming the school after Jabez Lamar Monroe Curry. Curry was a statesman and activist responsible for making education available for all Southern children. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives, the Confederate Congress, and the Confederate Army. He was president of the Howard College and a U.S. Minister to Spain. While Alabamians placed his statue in Statuary Hall in the United States Capitol Building, his picture is also displayed at the State Capital in Montgomery, Alabama.
The first graduation ceremony was held at the newly built auditorium in 1923. However, since Curry High School was not yet accredited, many students got their diplomas from Walker County High School. Soon more classrooms and departments were added, making Curry one of the best high schools in Walker County. Students then began traveling from Thach, Farmstead and outlying communities to attend classes.
In 1925, under the leadership of Principal Jim Boston, Curry became an accredited school. Curry School now offered eleven grades and had fifteen graduates in the graduating class of 1925.
In 1962, modern facilities were built for the high school, and the original building was left as the elementary school. Curry High School is now a 30 acre campus, which includes football, softball, and baseball fields, 2 gymnasiums, and a future athletic facility.